Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A favorite cheap recipe for a diabetic diet

I am a recipe collector. Love, Love, Love Google Notebook. It lets me cut and paste anything I want in what ever category I want to make that makes sense to me and I can search by ingredient or name of recipes.

I also love to cook and am always willing to try new recipes. So I thought I would post a favorite cheap recipe that fits into a diabetic diet. I have included the nutritional information. Mostly everything I make is from scratch. I even make my own bread and pizza dough. Not a huge fan of preservatives and chemicals. And don't EVER serve me Cool Whip! YUK! Why don't you just pour straight chemicals down by throat from a meth lab or something? Gross!!

Here is a recipe that I estimate costs me about $1.00 a serving. I shop at Aldi's-the cheapest grocery store on the planet, so your costs might be a bit higher if you shop elsewhere. It is tasty, cheap and quick to make.

Crispy Potatoes with Green Beans and Chopped Tomatoes

4 servings

I cup fresh green beans, steamed and cut into 1 inch pieces
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
4 eggs
2 lbs white or red potatoes, peeled and diced = 5 cups potatoes
2 tablespoons heart healthy extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion diced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper and paprika to taste

Fry potatoes, onions, oil and garlic together in large frying pan on medium heat. About 15-20 minutes until potatoes are browned. Stir in the rest of ingredients except for eggs. Cook for about 5 minutes until tomatoes start to soften. Crack each egg one at a time into a small bowl and then slip into pan on top of potatoes and vegetables, spacing evenly. Cover and cook on medium heat until eggs are done to your liking, about 3-5 minutes.

Nutritional info per serving:
Calories 315
Fat 12 grams
Carbs 42 grams
Protein 10 grams
Fiber 5 grams
Sodium 371 milligrams

Well, there you have it-Cheap, easy and quick to make. And it tastes good!

Although, it has a bit more fat grams than I would really like, to cut back on the oil does change the flavor a bit, but you could do that if you wanted to. But at least it is the heart healthy olive oil so it is a good oil for you and a totally fat free diet is not healthy, your diet does need some oil for your body to function properly. It's the fat in things that makes them taste so good! If only fat grams did not have twice the calories of protein or carbohydrates! We'd all lose weight quickly if that was the case! Sigh.

Contemplative focus:
Not on morality, but on cookery, let us build our stronghold: there brandishing our frying-pan, as censer, let us offer sweet incense to the Devil, and live at ease on the fat things he has provided for his elect!

Thomas Carlyle
1795-1881, Scottish Philosopher, Author
more famous quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment